Thursday, July 29, 2010

Not cut out to be a surgical nurse....

So today at work...the doctor I work with is out of the office so thursday is normally just my random day. I work on paperwork for people needing time off or help other nurses if they need it...well at lunch time the NP said she was going to assist with a C-Section at the hospital and I said "that would be neat to see" so she told me to tag along....so there I am so pumped I met the Pt first to make sure she didn't mind me being in there (super nice people) and then got all garbed up and headed in...at first it was so exciting to watch them drape the Pt and get all the instruments out...they start the procedure and I'm amazed at how little blood there is....the NP and the Doc are explaining the different layers they are cutting through and talking me through the procedure...it was awesome....(this is where it gets interesting) at this time I'm starting to notice that my face is getting super hot underneath the surgical mask....then I realize that all of me is getting pretty hot and then the clammy feeling starts to sink in....I'm thinking to myself "come on KC get it together" so I choose to ignore it and keep watching....well the next thing I know the surgical RN looks over at me and asks me if I'm ok....and I was about to nod yes....(this is where I'm getting told what happens) she pushes me backward onto a stool and then after our NP yells to her that I'm pregnant too lowers me to the floor....where she so fabulously put that I looked like I was "waving the wheat" which being a huge KSTATE fan made me feel even more crappy....then the poor pt asks "is the nurse ok" it was awful....it's hard to embarrass me but this did...so it's official I'm just getting it out there I will not be trying to specialize in surgery.....it is so strange to me that I lost it, I mean I've seen a ton of vaginal deliveries never got sick....and have changed a ton of wounds that look much worse than this c-sec did today.....=( everyone keeps telling me it's because I'm pregnant and blah blah blah, but my ego took a hit today....hahaha...before this little incident I had been saying that I didn't want to have to have a c-section and now I'm sure of it....

1 comment:

  1. oh no! well, pregnancy can do wierd things to you. you just never know!

    ReplyDelete